Crews Trying to Save Person Trapped in Cave

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Crews Trying to Save Person Trapped in Cave

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 10, 2006 6:40 am

WASHINGTON COUNTY, MD- A massive rescue is underway in Washington County to save a man trapped inside of a cave.

Fire and rescue officials said they received the emergency call around 10 p.m. Sunday night. The cave is located south of the square in Downsville near the Potomac River.

Several fire departments and rescue squads are on the scene. As of 11 p.m. Sunday night, it was believed only one person is trapped. Stay tuned to NBC25 Early Today and NBC25.com for more on this developing story.

http://www.nbc25.com/main/modules/news/ ... oryid=2881

=========================================

Youth trapped in cave

by KAREN HANNA karenh@herald-mail.com

DOWNSVILLE - A youth was trapped in a cave along the C&O Canal near Downsville for more than an hour Sunday night as a crew trained in confined-space rescues worked to free him.

According to a Washington County Emergency Services dispatcher, the victim was being taken to a Maryland State Police helicopter about 10:55 p.m.

Someone first reported a person had fallen about 12 feet into a cave at 8:52 p.m., Williamsport Volunteer Fire Lt. T.J. Barnes said. He and a firefighter crew waited near the Dam No. 4 Road entrance of the C&O Canal as special-operations personnel worked to free the victim about 10 p.m.

"We know he's injured, but they have not been able to make access (to him) yet. We do have crews down there," Barnes said.

Tammy Parrish, an independent contractor for The Herald-Mail, said she and her husband went to the canal late Wednesday to pick up her son and his friend, who were fishing. They saw three males who said they planned to enter the cave, and they heard screams later when one of the boys apparently was hurt, Parrish said.

"They asked us if we wanted to go in the cave with them, and we were like, 'No, thank you,'" Parrish said. The males looked like teenagers, she said. "When we came back, the boy was screaming, 'Help, help!'" she said.

According to Parrish's son, Preston, 15, the cave is a big, gaping hole in the rocks. He said he did not know the boys.

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=disp ... ormat=html
Last edited by Wayne Harrison on Jul 10, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Sean Ryan » Jul 10, 2006 11:14 am

Anyone know what cave this is? Or what dangers caves in this area have? And more imporantly, how the rescue's going?
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby dcfdrescue2 » Jul 10, 2006 12:13 pm

This was Dam #4 cave. The kid was about 150' or so inside the cave. We packaged him on a stokes and carried him out. There was also a Sked present, but it was easier and safer to put him in the stokes.
dcfdrescue2
Infrequent Poster

Postby Sean Ryan » Jul 10, 2006 1:17 pm

Nice job!
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Cave rescue in Maryland

Postby bookmaker-jb » Jul 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Jerry Bowen
bookmaker-jb
Infrequent Poster

Re: Crews Trying to Save Person Trapped in Cave

Postby cavedoc » Jul 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:

The cave the boys entered is about 1/2 mile ...

Wayne, do you mind editing out this reference. It's a shame that the media put this in their report. This is how a rescue gets repeated the following weekend.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Done, but it's in the local paper so it may not be of much help.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Teresa » Jul 10, 2006 6:58 pm

cavedoc wrote:
Wayne Harrison wrote:

Wayne, do you mind editing out this reference. It's a shame that the media put this in their report. This is how a rescue gets repeated the following weekend.

Um..without the location the reporter gets chewed out, and sent back to find out where it happened. Been there, done that....

The ways of the world are not our own...
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Teresa wrote:
cavedoc wrote:
Wayne Harrison wrote:

Um..without the location the reporter gets chewed out, and sent back to find out where it happened. Been there, done that....

The ways of the world are not our own...

not necessarily the case. the reporter can be vague in his description, giving the impression of the general area, but not the exact location. local newspapers, in particular, are pretty good about that sort of thing. It makes them feel part of the community.

and i agree it should not be publicized. it's a failing on the part of the rescuers to not make that point clear to the paper. failing that, they can prohibit the news media from entering the area. it falls under crowd control.

a few nicely worded letters to the editor explaining the delicacy of the situation might convince him to be more prudent in the future.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Teresa » Jul 10, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm not part of the crowd that thinks secrecy (especially in the case of cave rescues) saves caves. I seriously doubt most people search cave rescue news for places to go. Quite the opposite--if people know a particular cave is dangerous, or has a 'history' they will tend to avoid it.

If people want to gate caves, fine. If they want to arrest trespassers, fine. If the owner wants to keep a location secret--well, I'll never hear of it.

But there is a difference between a feature story and a news story. This is a news story, IMO, and I, for one, am fed up with stories about unnamed sources and undisclosed locations.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Jul 10, 2006 10:43 pm

hmmm........
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 11, 2006 8:45 am

Teresa wrote:I'm not part of the crowd that thinks secrecy (especially in the case of cave rescues) saves caves. I seriously doubt most people search cave rescue news for places to go. Quite the opposite--if people know a particular cave is dangerous, or has a 'history' they will tend to avoid it.

If people want to gate caves, fine. If they want to arrest trespassers, fine. If the owner wants to keep a location secret--well, I'll never hear of it.

But there is a difference between a feature story and a news story. This is a news story, IMO, and I, for one, am fed up with stories about unnamed sources and undisclosed locations.

on the other hand, i do know people who do seek out places because there have been rescues and deaths in them. I guess for some reason they feel that unless they're there they can't adequately *experience* the event.

LOL... I'll admit I need to find a better variety of friend. However, it does prove those sort of people's existance.

Lastly, Teresa, I cannot stand secrecy as much as the next person. I would love for all the bulletins and guidebooks and surveys to be availiable to everybody. But I've also had the sickening experience of having caves which I've found been trashed because people have been slow in protecting it. The results almost led me to give up caving - the rationalle being that why find it if we're not maure enough to protect it. So I apologize if I sound a little unwavering on the subect - I've been burned before.

john
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby George Dasher » Jul 11, 2006 9:11 am

Those caves are pretty well known, so you're not going to achieve anything with secrecy at this point.

The caves are right along the canal so anyone can go in them, especially bikers. They're very short, they have no formations, and they don't take any vandalism because they are so far from a paved road.

I was going to speculate that the kid just slipped and fell and hurt himself, and that it may have been a pretty simple rescue, but then I saw that "dcfdrescue2" was on the rescue, so he (or she) clearly knows more about the situation than me.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby dcfdrescue2 » Jul 11, 2006 1:32 pm

George Dasher wrote:Those caves are pretty well known, so you're not going to achieve anything with secrecy at this point.

The caves are right along the canal so anyone can go in them, especially bikers. They're very short, they have no formations, and they don't take any vandalism because they are so far from a paved road.

I was going to speculate that the kid just slipped and fell and hurt himself, and that it may have been a pretty simple rescue, but then I saw that "dcfdrescue2" was on the rescue, so he (or she) clearly knows more about the situation than me.

Your speculation would have been correct. It was indeed a simple rescue. There were beer cans around and an 18 year old who fell and hit his face. His mental state was probably from the beer, but it was safer for us to carry him out rather than have him walk out.

There a a few caves in Washington County MD, but this is the first time anybody with the fire dept could remember running a rescue in one. I am a member of the county Special Operations team. We deal in several technical rescue disciplines and have a lot of trained people and an excellent equipment cache. I also teach rope rescue, but am certainly more in my comfort zone in an urban environment. This was a definate learning experience for all involved. I have been a silent observer of ths forum for a little while and am certainly thankful for all of the helpful advice and hints I've picked up.
dcfdrescue2
Infrequent Poster

Postby Tim White » Jul 11, 2006 2:55 pm

dcfdrescue2 wrote:... I have been a silent observer of ths forum for a little while and am certainly thankful for all of the helpful advice and hints I've picked up.

dcfdrescue2- Glad to hear that the forum has been a benefit to you.
:waving:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum