PMI Multi Strap

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

PMI Multi Strap

Postby sherppa » Jul 8, 2010 9:08 pm

Load Releasing Hitch or jigger...
Since a couple of months, I´ve been using this multi strap from PMI. As a pick off strap with 4:1 MA, it is so easy to lift a 200lb Randy manikin (you can use it as a short 4:1 hauling system, just attaching it to the main line). It works as a load release hitch aswell, even as a load distributing anchor (PMI says it has more than 20 uses (still watching)). I think it is a cheap option to have a LRH and a light hauling system, just $22 (http://shop.pmirope.com/rigging-gear/in ... terID=1038).
:big grin:

sherppa
Frequent Poster

Re: Radium Release Hitch

Postby NZcaver » Jul 8, 2010 10:41 pm

The multi-strap is on my wish list. I've heard good things about it. A couple of folks at the NCRC national weeklong this year wouldn't shut up about the damn thing. :big grin: But did they have one with them to show and tell? Of course not. Not even Steve himself bothered to tuck one in his pocket for me. :sad:

Anybody want to send me one? :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Tim White » Jul 14, 2010 7:51 am

NZ- You should have been in TOFE. Kelly had one all week with her. We even had a "lecture" one night by Glenn Speight (Lvl 1 student) who was the driving force behind PMI producing and selling the Multi-strap. IMHO a great item to have in your kit; cheap, light weight and have 100 & 1 uses.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Jul 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Hey Tim,

I remember Glenn talking about it, but he didn't have one to demonstrate. I did not realize Kelly The Closet Gear Junkie had one with her. (I assume we're talking about the same Kelly?)

I guess I need to pick one up.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Anyone have more pics of this PMI Multi-Strap? The catalog pic doesn't show much and I can't figure out how it works or what can be done with it.

And, maybe we should start a new thread about this thing...
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: PMI Multi Strap

Postby NZcaver » Jul 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Anyone have more pics of this PMI Multi-Strap? The catalog pic doesn't show much and I can't figure out how it works or what can be done with it.

And, maybe we should start a new thread about this thing...

The topic has now been split. :waving:

PDF instructions for the Multi Strap can be found here.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 14, 2010 2:13 pm

That helps a bit. So, is it an endless loop with a ring sewn in one end and captured by the loop on the other?

Anyone know how long it is, when fully extended?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

I'll be sure to let you know when I get my own. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 14, 2010 2:51 pm

I'll check them out at OTR, if not sooner and report back, too.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby sherppa » Jul 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Anyone have more pics of this PMI Multi-Strap?...

Let me look for more pics.. . In the meantime here you can see the Multi-Strap as a LRH.

:)
sherppa
Frequent Poster

Postby sherppa » Jul 15, 2010 11:47 am

I found another pic. In this one, the Multi-Strap is showing as a pick off strap. The anchor point is in the left side and the load is in the opposite side. By pulling the tape (orange arrow) toward the anchor point, the load is lifted with a theorical MA 4:1. (yes, there is some amount of friction because tape frictioning with tape). By tape compressing, the lifted load doesn´t slip back.

I hope it helps a little :-)
sherppa
Frequent Poster

Postby chh » Jul 18, 2010 8:11 am

Hey scott, this is almost exactly the way I tighten my slackline, though just with webbing and a rap ring as a line locker. Come over to the yard one day and I'll show you the principle behind it. Or you can also google "ellington system". You'll probably get instructions for tensioning a slack line I'm not sure, but the principle is the same. My system seperates the tensioning system from the actual slackline, so it's more like a really long version of the MultiStrap. Most ellington systems include the slack line or "load strand" (for lack of a better term) in the tensioning system over short distances. The 4:1 is very "theoretical", but I could see how you could lift a 225 Randy with it pretty easily.

edit: It's kind of hard to tell from sherppa's pictures, but I think I can see how you could use this as an anchor as well, either as an equalizing anchor or a standard multi-point cordolette style anchor. Now I have to check out that instructions link.....
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby chh » Jul 18, 2010 8:37 am

Sherppa,
So tell me if I have this imagined correctly. There's the "dogbone" or stiched portion of the multi strap. A bight exits this portion, makes a loop and goes to the ring which is also stitched into the dogbone. That's it right?
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby snoboy » Jul 18, 2010 2:55 pm

That's how I read it. I decided to tie one up to play with and see how useful it might be. If you don't have a rap ring, you could use a carabiner in place of that.

snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby chh » Jul 18, 2010 3:20 pm

snoboy wrote:That's how I read it. I decided to tie one up to play with and see how useful it might be. If you don't have a rap ring, you could use a carabiner in place of that.

Hey snoboy, I did the same thing today but see one major drawback. When you tighten on the appropriate strap, the legs that move around the load biner go in opposite directions. When I use a similar system to tighten webbing for a slack line I tie it so that the legs on the load carabiner both move in the same direction. I have a feeling this may increase the theoretical advantage over the multi-strap. However I couldn't figure out how to do this in the multi-strap configuration. I'd be interested to see if the legs on the load carabiner move in opposite directions with the multi-strap. I'd also be interested in how much this detracts from the advantage. I would imagine some, but can't say for sure. You strapped a load on your DIY setup yet?
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum