CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Our office sponsors an elder care center. We're supposed to donate stocking stuffers. I read that flashlights are highly valued gifts. The tricky part is that there are 60 beds, and we have to give 60 identical stockings. I know there are a lot of really cheap LED flashlights out there, but I'm wondering if you cavers know of any that aren't crap and preferably run on AA or AAA batteries which would be easy for the recipients to replace.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
User avatar
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:34 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
NSS #: 15789
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby Steve_S » Nov 29, 2017 7:20 pm

I bought one of those "tactical super bright military grade" flashlights they sell on informercials and its actually pretty good! It runs on 3 AAA batteries And is super bright. It says 3000 lumens but I doubt its THAT bright. https://www.amazon.com/Didakay-Tactical ... flashlight
Steve_S
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jul 10, 2016 4:05 pm
Location: Connecticut
NSS #: 61110
Primary Grotto Affiliation: central connecticut grotto
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Steve_S wrote:I bought one of those "tactical super bright military grade" flashlights they sell on informercials and its actually pretty good! It runs on 3 AAA batteries And is super bright. It says 3000 lumens but I doubt its THAT bright. https://www.amazon.com/Didakay-Tactical ... flashlight


That's a bit pricey for buying 60 of them! I found these, though, and they get good ratings on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... 4570&psc=1
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
User avatar
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:34 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
NSS #: 15789
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby tncaver » Nov 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Mini Mag makes several different LED lights that are very bright and priced under $20 each.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2626
Joined: May 17, 2007 7:03 pm
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 30, 2017 5:10 pm

tncaver wrote:Mini Mag makes several different LED lights that are very bright and priced under $20 each.


Thanks, but 60 of them = $1200!

I ordered the ones I wound up finding a link to on Amazon (with good reviews).
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
User avatar
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:34 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
NSS #: 15789
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby tncaver » Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm

How bright are they? The Mini Mags are up to 120 lumens. Not bad for $20 and a metal water resistant shell.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2626
Joined: May 17, 2007 7:03 pm
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby NZcaver » Dec 4, 2017 6:55 am

Try something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-Tactic ... B071Y6JFBM

Personally I'm not a fan of zooming head LED lights, but a 5 pack for $17 isn't bad. $3.40 each. Ultrafire is a somewhat known brand, and this is probably the cheapest light they have. 300 lumens (so they say) with high, low and strobe settings. Water resistant. Hundreds of reviews, average 4 stars. Can use rechargeable 14500 or 1 x AA battery. Not bad for a stocking stuffer.
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 5, 2017 9:43 am

NZcaver wrote:Try something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-Tactic ... B071Y6JFBM

Personally I'm not a fan of zooming head LED lights, but a 5 pack for $17 isn't bad. $3.40 each. Ultrafire is a somewhat known brand, and this is probably the cheapest light they have. 300 lumens (so they say) with high, low and strobe settings. Water resistant. Hundreds of reviews, average 4 stars. Can use rechargeable 14500 or 1 x AA battery. Not bad for a stocking stuffer.


Thanks, NZ. That is a decent price. but still, 60 of them = $204. I ordered the ones I linked to in an earlier message after clearing it with the elder care center. The number didn't round out to 60, so I think I get 4 spare to keep. I'll try and give review for day to day use (if I every have a use for one--all may neighbors are amazed when we meet at the community mailboxes and I have a headlight on, on the way home from work).

FWIW, NZ, I am familiar with UltraFire as a battery company. I think they might be the batteries that died soon after I bought them.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
User avatar
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:34 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
NSS #: 15789
  

Re: CHEAP but reliable flashlight?

Postby NZcaver » Dec 9, 2017 4:29 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:FWIW, NZ, I am familiar with UltraFire as a battery company. I think they might be the batteries that died soon after I bought them.

Possible. I have an UltraFire Li-Ion charger that has held up to moderate use OK, but I have different brand batteries.

Hope the folks are happy with their AAA lights.
User avatar
NZcaver
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sep 7, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG
  


Return to Equipment Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users