Scariest or Craziest thing thats happened to you while cavin

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Scariest or Craziest thing thats happened to you while cavin

Postby JackW » Oct 3, 2008 10:06 pm

SMGCaver wrote:My fleeting though was that if I wasn't having any effect beating down naked guy, should I add more bars...

Your story and especially this line are the best! Thanks. I've tears in the corners of my eyes!
:rofl:
JackW
Prolific Poster

Name: Jack Wood
NSS #: 42272
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FRG

Postby RedheadCavePrincess » Oct 22, 2008 9:31 am

naked hairy guy.....very scary, but amusing in a sick way
RedheadCavePrincess
Infrequent Poster

Name: Deb
NSS #: 60748

Postby RedheadCavePrincess » Oct 22, 2008 9:49 am

It was is england, I had just crawled over this rickety ladder over this hole, aptly named the bottomless pit. The next step was to clip onto a new line after you crawl up a very muddy ledge. just as it connected, I slid,all the way down the muddy ledge and into the bottomless pit and bounced off the wall. ouch. so i just dangled there for a while, trying to get my heart to slow down and checked out the scenery. The wall was cragy with lots of good hand holds and I could not see any bottom.
I tried to get some pictures, but they were too dark. I do have some lovely scars on my knee and arm from the sharp rocks. :eek: :eek:
RedheadCavePrincess
Infrequent Poster

Name: Deb
NSS #: 60748

Postby JNT Exploration1 » Oct 23, 2008 12:05 pm

I do alot of free climbing. In 2001 we were climbing a cliff face outside Kankakee Illinois and the hand holds I was using crumbled, below us the stream bed was littered with tree trunks and the direction I was falling should have ended up with me becoming impaled upon a stump. But miraculously I hit the sand bottom and not a stump. While the fall was only a forty foot drop it still was an eye opening experience to the "what could have happened" scenerio.
JNT Exploration1
Frequent Poster

Name: Jason and Traca

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 23, 2008 1:11 pm

JNT Exploration1 wrote:I do alot of free climbing. In 2001 we were climbing a cliff face outside Kankakee Illinois and the hand holds I was using crumbled, below us the stream bed was littered with tree trunks and the direction I was falling should have ended up with me becoming impaled upon a stump. But miraculously I hit the sand bottom and not a stump. While the fall was only a forty foot drop it still was an eye opening experience to the "what could have happened" scenerio.

:yikes: A 40 foot fall can kill you just as quick as a 400 foot fall. Glad you escaped injury.

I've also had hand holds in caves break off before. Fortunately, none resulted in a fall. :clap:
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby JNT Exploration1 » Oct 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Mike
Lets just say I had to clean my britches out ....lol.....free climbing takes a special naturally bright folks...folks like myself ......either that or perhaps a wee bit o death wish! :laughing:
JNT Exploration1
Frequent Poster

Name: Jason and Traca

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 24, 2008 6:18 am

JNT Exploration1 wrote:Mike
Lets just say I had to clean my britches out ....lol.....free climbing takes a special naturally bright folks...folks like myself ......either that or perhaps a wee bit o death wish! :laughing:

:laughing: I think I would have had to do the same!
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Oct 24, 2008 8:05 pm

About 15 years ago, I took my then girlfriend up to Indian Grave Point Cave in Middle TN. She had been caving with me before, but not to this particular cave. We went at night, as I often did with other friends. We only lived about 40 minutes away. That particular night, we had been sitting around in a coffeeshop in Nashville trying to figure out what to do with the rest of our evening. We decided to go caving and got to the cave about 11:00 pm. There was kind of an eerie fog as we climbed up the mountain. We climbed down into the entrance sink, ducked into the cave, and entered the first large room. It was one of those temperature inversion nights where it was real foggy right inside. We could only see a few feet ahead, and our lights were casting strong beams in the cloud. In the room, I noticed some animal bones arranged into an elaborate pattern on a large rock. I pointed this out to Suzie, and she became visibly shaken :yikes: and suggested we leave the cave. I told her it was no big deal, lots of different types of people used the cave, it was probably something someone did out of boredom. She would not relent, and said in a shaky but determined voice; "Let's leave right now." I was annoyed, having seen lots of crazy things in this cave, but could tell by the look on her face that we would not be caving that night. I also sort of got the odd feeling that maybe she was on to something as that I had never noticed bones that large in the room or anywhere else in the cave. Still sort of frustrated that we had gotten our gear together and driven out there for nothing, I agreed to leave.

We hiked down to the car and by the time we got there, Suzie was in tears. She was inconsolable. On the ride home, once she had calmed down a bit, she said; "I can't believe you were saying those things in there." "What are you talking about?" I asked. She went on to describe that once I had pointed them out, I had explained that the bones were there as a sign, an omen of great ritual importance. (I had said nothing of the sort) She said she was terrified to watch me explain with glee how there was great spiritual importance of us being there that night to witness the ritual. What she described me saying was very involved, about a five minute monologue that I know did not come out of my mouth :devil: I told her that none of that had actually happened, and that I had only said something like "Hey look at these bones!" and nothing else. Then I realized that something weird had occurred. I don't know what actually happened to Suzie in there, :shrug: but for her it was very real. We both had a very unsettled feeling about the whole thing. I don't think we spoke much on the ride home, and she never really wanted to talk about it much after that.

Prior to this, other friends had told me they didn't really feel comfortable in the cave, like there was an eerie presence there. We also noticed weird things in the cave. For instance, there were always playing cards set up at random junctions throughout the passages. You would pop out of a crawlway, and there would be like a 10 of diamonds or a jack of spades looking at you. We assumed that someone had used them to mark their way, but for some reason I always felt kind of unsettled when we saw those cards. Especially when we noticed that they tended to move from place to place around the cave from trip to trip.

Another time, we were exploring a passage off the Cascade Dome. It was a tall breakdown passage and it led us on for several hundred feet. There was a line of five or six of us traveling through the passage and I was in the lead. When it abruptly ended, I let the other guys know and we turned around, so that I was then in the back. I had to stop and fiddle with my carbide lamp, and then I got up and started after the other guys. They were out of sight and earshot by this point. Suddenly, I distinctly heard footsteps following behind me. I stopped, heard two or three more steps behind me, and then they stopped as well. I looked back, did not see anything, so I continued. The same thing happened again. I heard someone behind me and stopped. I heard three or four footsteps behind me, and then they stopped. I called out "Who's there?". Nothing. When I continued, the footsteps started up again, louder this time, like something following me hard. I turned to confront them, and they stumbled to a stop again. This was NOT an echo. By this time, I was completely freaked :panic: and ran to catch up with my friends. When I found them they said "What the hell happened to you, you look terrible!" I did. I had not seen a ghost, but was halfway convinced that I had heard one!

Events like these led us to believe that Indian Grave Point Cave could in fact be haunted. It was several years before I went back following the "ritual bones" incident. Later stories I have heard about IGP, such as the baited bear trap in the cave with an attractor light, have reinforced my view that something is not quite right there. :question:

These are true accounts of things that happened to me there, I realize it is getting close to Halloween :bat: in case that is what anyone is thinking. Also, if anyone is paying attention, this post could help you with the answer for the "name that cave" thread that is going on elsewhere on this board.

One of the craziest (funniest) things that has ever happened to me in a cave was also in IGP. I'll save it for another post since this one went so long.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby thecaveguy » Oct 26, 2008 6:46 pm

jaa45993 wrote: When I continued, the footsteps started up again, louder this time, like something following me hard. I turned to confront them, and they stumbled to a stop again. This was NOT an echo.

Sheesh! I think my friends would have found me curled up in a fetal position and whimpering!! :yikes: I only wish I had waited until Halloween to read this. Nice one.
thecaveguy
Infrequent Poster

Postby Mike Warshauer » Oct 28, 2008 9:17 am

My wife Susan and I and Lon and Lorne Odell, were exploring the upstream terminus of Janus Pit Cave, in Arkansas. We were in a dry upper level. and Lon and I both started to climb into a bedding plane passage up a 6 foot wall. To our shock, the wall slowly released from the main mass of bedrock, and we just barely jumped clear.

We went ahead and explored past the now-stablized wall, and found very little. (Ca 1975)
Cada loco con su tema
Mike Warshauer
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Warshauer
NSS #: 4428 F, LB

Postby Kevenater » Nov 6, 2008 5:35 am

I sure am glad he made this post, some awesome stories!!!!!! My favorite is the one about the cave ghost and the bones!!
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Name: Keven Williams
NSS #: 46794

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 4, 2008 10:47 pm

I heard of a cave that was next to a road where I live. I thought one day while driving by that I would go wearch for it. I went and searched for it and found it within the the first 20 minutes after leaving my car. My friends searched the entire day for it when they went. I'm like seriously. There was a limestone rock cliff and they decided to venture past the rock cliff and into the woods I'm like, Okay??? Anyway back to the scary part. I went searching by myself and found the cave. I thought you know I have a light I might as well go in a little ways. I went into a cave by myself ugh that's scary in itself. Before venturing into any cave I give a loud Woop to make sure there's nothing big living in there. I didn't here anything afterward so, I ventured in. I went about 1/8 of a mile into the cave and peered around a corner just glancing and all of the sudden I saw a flicker I said "what the hell" They were glowing eyes. I went " Oh crap" That was the fastest 1/8 of a mile run I've ever done.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum