How is the drought affecting your caving?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

How is the drought affecting your caving?

Postby jeffkruse » Jul 11, 2012 8:05 am

Here in PR we are not having a drought. This last dry season was anything but. This makes it too dangerous for some caves and dangerous for others that we still do. This means more near or total sumps. I had fun this last dry season but it was less than the last season. We hope for dry weather and long dry seasons here.

Is the drought in the South I hear so much about in the news allowing you to do more caves and go farther in the wet ones?
jeffkruse
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 62760
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia

Re: How is the drought affecting your caving?

Postby trogman » Jul 11, 2012 9:17 am

Actually, the drought in much of the cave-rich part of TAG is not very severe. http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_southeast.htm You will notice that the map shows the NE corner of AL is either "abnormally dry," or in "moderate drought" conditions. It was starting to look like we were heading into a severe drought, but this week the rains have set in, and are forecast to continue the rest of the week. It is nice in that it has cooled off a bit. :woohoo:

I have started keeping a list of caves to visit during droughts.Last time we had a severe drought, we added hundreds of feet to at least one cave, but we missed our window of oportunity to push a lot of other caves that are normally sumped. I don't want to do that again!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: How is the drought affecting your caving?

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 11, 2012 10:05 am

It was during a severe drought in the early 80's that we added so much passage to Dry Creek Cave. In those days "it went" mainly if you were a cave diver, of course.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum