Research info needed

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Research info needed

Postby cindybutler » Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm

David Brook of the CDG (Cave Diving Group) contacted me with a request. He was contacted by Gareth Lock in the UK regarding MBTI work done by the NSS published M Murphey in 1984. Do you have a contact in the NSS that might be able to help Gareth with following up on this work? You can respond to me or David Brook at dbrock@dpygb.jnj.com
Thank you for any help you can give him. Cindy
cindybutler
New Poster

NSS #: 47572
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NSS-CDS

Re: Research info needed

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 25, 2012 9:42 pm

MBTI? Myers-Briggs?

Perhaps you're reffering to this study? http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 20,7739569 According to the article, Murphey's research was conducted at the University of Florida in 1992. I checked the 1991,1992, and 1984 issues of the Bulletin to see if the study had been published by the NSS, but didn't find it. The NSS publishes research papers, but as an organization doesn't conduct research. Likewise, Murphey is not listed in the 1992 NSS News index or or the 1984 index.

Perhaps Murphey presented a paper at the NSS Convention. The 1992 Convention abstracts are printed in the Volume 54 (2) - December 1992 issue of the Bulletin, but the full issue has not yet been uploaded on the NSS Web site and is not on the Karst Information Portal . You could call the NSS office and ask librarian Bill Torode to check that Bulletin issue to see if the abstract is included, if it would be of any help.

Perhaps some CDS members or cavers connected to UF could help. I'll put a link to this thread in the Cavechat Cave Diving forum.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby chac » Apr 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Cindy,

Did you check the older UWS or NACD issues? I recall M.Murphy writing one or two articles then. You could also ask one of the older NACD members. S.Gerrard was the editor and/or NACD president at the time. M. (Milledge) Murphey was also the training director for the NACD and involved in a cave instructor crossover program then. PM or e-mail me if you'd like.

Jim
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby GLOC » Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Cindy thanks for the original post.

I posted a response to this thread but doesn't seem to have been approved.

It was I who asked David Brock to see if the CDG had these papers, and he asked Cindy.

I am a PhD Candidate looking into the role of Human Factors in Diving. I found an interesting paper on Rubicon here http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org:8 ... 56789/9875 and a couple of references were made which I would like to track down.

Murphey, M. "Cave Diving Personality Types". Presentation at the 24th and 25th NSS-CDS National Cave Diving Workshops. Branford, FL, 1984 and 1985 ..

and

Murphey, M., (1984) CAVE DIVING PEltSORALITY TYPES: A Lonaitudin&l' Study "Using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator. Conducted at the Annual Meeting of the National Speleological Society-Cave Diving Society, December 29-30, 1984 with publication of results to follow in Underwater Speleology and other national publications.

Thanks for those who have done some searching already and the newspaper links.

Regards

Gareth
GLOC
New Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum