Is Roy Davis A Zombie ???

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Is Roy Davis A Zombie ???

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Dec 13, 2010 10:44 pm

At the Cumberland Caverns Christmas Party this past Saturday (December 11), Roy Davis, developer and long-time manager of Cumberland Caverns, was the speaker, song-leader, etc., at the Banquet. At least, it looked like Roy Davis. The person was wearing Roy's burgandy sport's coat and knew all the old Roy Davis stories.

But, the plot thickens.

At the end of the party, Gordon Smith and Ed Yarborough carried a covered object on an essell onto the stage (in the Volcano Room) and new manager Teddy B. Jones announces that they are making an AWARD to Roy Davis. With Roy (or the person who looks like Roy) looking on, they remove the black cloth to reveal a beautiful brass plaque which reads:

IN MEMORY OF ROY DAVIS -- HE LOVED THIS CAVE

They said the plaque would be mounted on the wall, somewhere in the cave.

Now to me, "In Memory Of" means the person is already dead. Was that person up there a Zombie? Is Roy one of the Living Dead? Could he be a Vampire? Or, was that a Look-Alike, dressed up and pretending he was Roy Davis? And, they have already buried poor Roy and didn't tell the rest of us?

Oh, what is the awful truth here? I even talked to "Roy" afterwards, and it sounded just like him !!! But who can be sure ??? Can the NSS form a Committe to investigate this mystery?

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Is Roy Davis A Zombie ???

Postby commanderzoom » Dec 13, 2010 11:08 pm

:rofl: WTF??? I'm alternating between thinking that's hilarious & thinking it's creepy.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Dec 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Poor Roy !!! I don't think he knew what to say.

He did say something about:

"Can we lay this FACE-DOWN somewhere for a few years?"

What do you say? "Thanks guys...............but I'm not dead, yet !!!"

Roy was just the ultimate caver, my Hero, when I started caving in High School. And he was always kind enough to share his knowledge and his cave with us.

Thanks Roy !!!

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Dec 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Look on the bright side--at least it didn't have dates on it, right? Like "Roy Davis, 1920 (or whatever) - 2010". I'd be crapping my pants if I were him and somebody gave me a plaque with my date of death printed on it :laughing: .
Last edited by commanderzoom on Dec 13, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby Bill Putnam » Dec 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Roy's enthusiasm and personality have always made his part of the Christmas party my favorite. Wonderful tales of adventure and craziness in the caves of his youth, his strong tenor voice leading the Christmas carol sing-along and mangling the occasional verse, and his careful and sincere remarks on the meaning of Christmas have been the hallmarks of the Cumberland Caverns Christmas Party. The dinner and the choir and the fellowship are all very enjoyable, but it has always been Roy who made the event what it is.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby Cumberland Caverns » Dec 16, 2010 10:24 am

Roy himslef picked the plaque and the wording. This is the same plaque with exact wording that Roy has always admired at Marvel Cave in Branson dedicated to William H. Lynch. We realized what it might look like, and asked Roy a couple of times if he was sure this is what he wanted. He said he did. This plaque is a way to honor him in not only dedicating it to him but wording it in a way that he wanted it to read. And we do always want to give him all the honor that is due to the man that has done so much for not only Cumberland Caverns and the caving world. It was also Roy's idea to make this the last Christmas party. He wanted to go out with a bang, and have something special for the 50th and last.

Teddy Jones
Cumberland Caverns
Cumberland Caverns
New Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am

Wow !!! That's good to know.

I guess he was just trying to act surprised.

Will we have any more Cumberland Caverns Christmas Parties? It wouldn't seem like Christmas without one.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum